Quick Brown Bread
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Vegetarian Recipes and other Vegetarian topics.
What is a recipe for a quick vegetarian bread?
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or 1 cup plain yogurt or soy yogurt plus 1/2 cup low-fat milk or soy milk)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or molasses
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour each of the wet ingredients into it. Stir vigorously until the wet and dry ingredients are completely combined. Pour the batter into a lightly oiled, 9X5X3 inch loaf pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool on a rack briefly, then slice and serve while still warm.